Monday, January 24, 2011

I think I might have stumbled onto something.....

I think I may be getting somewhere here.  I've been doing some digging.  The only thing I can go back to in my life that I have always loved is Math.  I've always been good at it and always loved it.  Loved solving the problems, and knowing that each problem has a definite answer.  It was always so much easier for me than English, for example, where answers to questions are much more vague, and can come in various different forms.  Math is much simpler.....it's either wrong or it's right.  So, what can you do with math?  I've come up with 2 possibilities: be and accountant or teach.  I know I don't want to be an accountant.  So.....teach!  I will have to teach grade 5+, because that's when you become specialized in the different areas in school.  I, however am actually thinking of teaching High Schooler's.  Algebra I or II preferably, but we will see what comes my way, and what happens.  I am applying to Shepherd University, which has a Math Education program......where I can get everything I need.  Typically the program takes 4 years for a student to complete, but that is for an undergraduate coming in with NOTHING.  I am hoping, that with my bachelor's in Psychology, I will have at least some of the classes out of the way.  I do not, however, know if the math classes must me taken in sequence, meaning I can only take one after taking the previous one.  The same goes for the Education classes.  I am hoping that I will be able to start this summer.  It is actually all very exciting to me.  My nerdy self, I can't wait for the math classes.  I feel like this is an answer to prayers.  I know it may seem like it was obvious......since I liked math all along, I've just always been scared of teaching.  I just feel like it's time to break out of the shell, though.  I know I can do it.  I love the subject enough, I know I have the passion to share it with others.  I feel like this is what I have been waiting for.  I am terribly nervous about talking to my parents about it.  They do not even know I have applied to this college.  I am going to talk to them about it tomorrow.  They had originally wanted me to get a job ASAP, with benefits, something that I could start out in, and work my way up.  I just feel like that is not right.  I have a gut feeling that is not going to work out.  I am trying to follow these feelings, because they don't usually happen by mistake.  I feel like when I say "gut" feelings, I am really mean nudging from God.  I think we have gut feelings for a reason, and that God is speaking to us through them.  I am not saying that they are always 100% correct, but they are probably leading us in the right direction most of the time.  I just don't see myself in a job right now.  I honestly don't see myself getting hired in the first place.  All I have to offer is a Bachelor's in Psych......that's not so much these days.  Regardless, I want to get into this program, and I want it bad.  I want these classes.  I want to feel like I am productive again, and doing something I like doing.  I don't want to be just be immobilized here at home anymore.  I'm sick of it.  I want to get out there, put myself out there.  I know it's going to be scary, and I'm going to feel really anxious at first, but something has got to give here.  I've gotten too comfortable where I am.  I need to break out of the comfort zone, and start really living.  That's what God wants for all of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mary, I think that is such a great idea. I stat the teaching the program in the Fall. When I have volunteered in schools for certain classes I get the best feeling ever. I think its because it allows me to focus on others and my problems do not seem so bad. I think you have made a great decision to teach. You will love it! Keep me updated on what you find out! Keep going strong!!

    ReplyDelete