Thursday, December 30, 2010

Rest In Peace...William Bernard Just 9/8/23 - 12/24/10

So I just got home from a funeral, of an old man who used to sit behind me in church growing up.  Him and his wife, Claire, were seriously the cutest old couple I have ever met in my life.  I have never met two people in my life more willing to listen, give their time, and just joke around with a little girl in my life.  Even when I went away to college, they would write me long notes, it was the sweetest thing I have ever seen.  When I saw his obituary in the paper, it was so sad.  At the funeral today I got to see his wife again, it was so good to see her.  I gave her a big hug, and told her how much I had missed her.  I was amazed that she remembered me instantly! I found out during the service that Mr. Just had served in the Air Force during WWII and was very into airplanes and building model planes.  I also learned that Mr. and Mrs. Just would have celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary this year.  They were so in love with each other, it really restores my faith in marriage to see a couple like that.  They were in love to the very end.  He was a special man and I will never forget him.  He also had a deep faith in God, and was a true believer in Christ.  At the end of the service, they shared he and his wife's favorite poem, "Footprints in the Sand" which brought a tear to my eye, because it has always been a favorite of mine as well.  I want to post the poem below in case any of you have not heard of it.

Footprints in the Sand

One night a man had a dream.
He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand;
One belonged to him, and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of his life
there was only one set of footprints.
He also notices that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
Troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I needed you the most,
you would leave me."

The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
I love you and would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you only see one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

No comments:

Post a Comment