Friday, February 12, 2010

Art Therapy Interview

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."
This quote basically describes my interview today. I was faced with many obstacles. To start out, Micky and I got completely lost getting there and I arrived 10 minutes late. 3 of the 4 other girls there were Art majors, and the other an art minor. I the lone one who did not have an art background. We had to present our art portfolios in front of the other girls there. I was floored, as I had included pieces from my treatment. I had to state in front of all those women and faculty that I was in recovery from an eating disorder. Explain the piece, and move on. I almost started crying, but I made it through. My art was NOT sufficient. It did not measure up to that of the other girls work. I felt completely ashamed and inadequate. The actual interview was equally as humiliating. The faculty who interviewed me point blank told me she was afraid that I would relapse if she admitted me into the program after hearing my history. She asked me my lowest weight and then had the nerve to actually ask me what I weighed. Of course, me, put on the face and answered like a "good girl". It was only after that I actually feel so upset about this process. I loved the program, and the faculty were actually very nice, except for those remarks, which I understand they would be concerned about, but then.....why give me an interview?? I discussed it in my personal statement when I applied. I feel very disappointed. I want to go to this school so bad. I want to be an art therapist. I am not going to let this effect my food. However. I am upset about it. I am acknowledging my feelings. When will my past stop haunting me??

No comments:

Post a Comment